First On Google?
For “comparison shop” products, 4th or 5th place may be better!
The internet is ever-so-now -important to businesses, large and small, because:
- Less television is being watched, and when PVRing the commercials are skipped Less radio, since people are listening to their MP3 players or commercial-free satellite radio Mailing has gotten a lot more expensive in the past year, whether flyers, brochures, or letters Newspapers are getting smaller as more people are getting breaking news from other sources
The internet is also achieving dominance with stronger e-commerce tools and platforms, it can be more cost-effective than traditional retail, and also importantly, instead of spending huge sums of money on “frequency and reach” you can spend less, since your customers are exactly ONE CLICK way!
Search Engine Optimization
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a constantly evolving field as different and competing search engines tweak their algorithms. Most search engine work is automated and falls into three steps:
- Spider the site, recording the contents of each page, any included special data (headers, lists, links, and images), and how fast it loads. Then repeat and follow all links found
- Index the content and apply the algorithm not just for the page, but also adjust weights for all other pages on that website
- When a Search query is made evaluate that page against all other pages, based on the search algorithm and rank the pages based on the user inquiry
Contrary to popular belief SEO is not only about keywords. For instance, Google takes into account more than 200 data points to decide the rank of your website. Some of the most important factors are:
- Age of your domain
- Authority of websites that link back to your site
- Number of links back to your website and each particular page
- Usage of “long tail” keywords
- User-friendly and freshly/recently updated content
- Localization, for geographically sensitive searches
- Page load time
- Presence of duplicate content (and ignore less-ranked duplicate pages)
- Presence of keyword in title tags, headlines, and images
- Length of content
Other search tools, like Bing, Alexa and Siri use variations of the factors (including presence and ranking of a business on the OTHER services!). And these ranking factors will vary over time… to improve the “value
” and “relevancy” of search results, and also to circumvent obvious efforts to “game the results” (not limited to cheating)
Steps for better SEO
- Competitive intelligence: What are the competitors who outrank your site on Google (and Bing) doing better than you?
- Mobile friendliness. “Mobile geddon” was decreed by Google back in April 2015… are you STILL not mobile friendly or responsive?
- Site coding & structure. Speed, design, and optimization. The search engines use a NUMBER of ranking factors: how—on balance—are you doing?
- Content improvements for important & high traffic keywords/phrases
- META tag improvements. What are current best practices?
- How well liked is your site? How many sites link to your home page and/or content within your website? Google’s patented algorithm partly gases site ranking on the number of links to it. Find directories (especially local and industry directories) you can be in.
- How often does your site content change? If you have not posted new stories or pages to your site in YEARS, and if you have not edited or re-written content in that time… time for a major content re-write.
- Lastly, aside from all the “manipulation” you can do to jostle for higher search engine rankings, Google rewards best practices, just doing “what’s best for users”. It hates useless “doorway pages” but likes sites that efficiently navigate visitors and customers to a result. Is your layout, navigation, and site design efficient, and cleanly laid out?
We Collaborate With All SEO Professionals
If you & your client are successful, then we are successful!
TransCanada FoundLocally’s goal is to work with every web marketer to ensure that their clients are taking MAXIMUM ADVANTAGE of the free web marketing resources on FoundLocally’s different websites and directories. See the Industry Tip Sheets we have created, as a result of discussions with other companies and web marketers .
When your clients have web marketing success, and are thankful to YOU, then we know we’ve done our part!
Let Us Help You!
We can help you devise a strategy and implement it as part of your entire online presence, and help you achieve gains against your competition in a fast, efficient, and cost-effective manner.