Search Engine Automation
Most search engine automate these steps:
- Spider the site, recording web page contents and special data (headers, lists, links, and images), and load-speed. Repeat and spider all found links
- Index the content using their algorithm for the page and other pages on that website
- When a Search query is made the algorithm ranks pages based on the user’s inquiry, their location, and their prior search history
- Ads display with search results based on advertiser preferences for audience, geography, topic (and bid value)
Search Engine Optimization
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a constantly evolving field as different and competing search engines tweak their algorithms.
Contrary to popular belief SEO is not only about keywords. For instance, Google takes into account more than 200 data points to decide the rank of your website. Some of the most important factors are:
- Age of your domain
- Authority of websites that link back to your site
- Number of links back to your website and each particular page
- Usage of “long tail” keywords
- User-friendly and freshly/recently updated content
- Localization, for geographically sensitive searches
- Page load time
- Presence of duplicate content (and ignore less-ranked duplicate pages)
- Presence of keyword in title tags, headlines, and images
- Length of content
Other search tools, like Bing, Alexa and Siri use variations of the factors (including presence and ranking of a business on the OTHER services!). And these ranking factors will vary over time… to improve the “value
” and “relevancy” of search results, and also to circumvent obvious efforts to “game the results” (not limited to cheating)
Search Engine Algorithms
YOU CAN DO
to rank better with
the Search Engines
Steps for better SEO
- Competitive intelligence: What are the competitors who outrank your site on Google (and Bing) doing better than you?
- Mobile friendliness. “Mobile-geddon” was decreed by Google back in April 2015… are you STILL not mobile friendly or responsive?
- Site coding & structure. Speed, design, and optimization. The search engines use a NUMBER of ranking factors: how—on balance—are you doing?
- Content improvements for important & high traffic keywords/phrases
- META tag improvements. What are current best practices?
- How well liked is your site? How many sites link to your home page and/or content within your website? Google’s patented algorithm partly gases site ranking on the number of links to it. Find directories (especially local and industry directories) you can be in.
- How often does your site content change? If you have not posted new stories or pages to your site in YEARS, and if you have not edited or re-written content in that time… time for a major content re-write.
- Lastly, aside from all the “manipulation” you can do to jostle for higher search engine rankings, Google rewards best practices, just doing “what’s best for users”. It hates useless “doorway pages” but likes sites that efficiently navigate visitors and customers to a result. Is your layout, navigation, and site design efficient, and cleanly laid out?
TransCanada FoundLocally’s Web Marketing & SEO services
We can help you devise a strategy and implement it as part of your entire online presence, and help you achieve gains against your competition in a fast, efficient, and cost-effective manner.
Over our 20 YEARS in business, we’ve provided this full range of expertise and advice: