FoundLocally’s Canadian Web Marketing and SEO Blog >> Web marketing for Healthcare: Doctors, Dentists, Clinics and Hospitals on FoundLocally
FoundLocally is a great way for health care professionals and facilities to raise their own visibility, not just by adding themselves to our high-traffic community directory, but by posting news, jobs, events, and savings to increase the number of pages on their FoundLocally listing, gaining both greater visibility while saving ever-lager amounts of money otherwise spent on advertising in other media.
Online marketing generally, and FoundLocally specifically, is especially helpful for those trying to reach a range of youth, seniors, and/or affluent audience. Unlike broadcast media, where a message is fleeting and must be repeated often (at high cost to the advertiser), online messages are “always there” ready to be found when users are looking for information about an illness or affliction can find possible solutions, local specialists and can “drill down” to ever-more-detailed information until their curiosity/information needs are satisfied.
This approach is also effective for SEO (search engine optimization): the more pages on FoundLocally the more link-backs you have, and the higher your own web site’s ranking and findability!
TIPS for Doctors
FoundLocally listings can help medical professionals manage their listings consistent with their practice philosophy.
- If you ARE building your medical practice, add a comment “New Patients Welcome.”
- If your practice is mature, and your schedule is fully booked, then add a comment ”Unable to accept new patients”.
- If your practice is based on referrals from other doctors or General Practitioners, then add the comments “Patients accepted only with referral from another doctor.”
TIPS For Hospitals and Clinics
If you are a hospital or clinic with multiple wards and contact numbers, list each separately, with its own description and categories. Indicate the main listing and phone number by starting that listing by inserting a leadings space in the Name field (but do not do this with all or single listings!)
TIPS for Health Care Professional Associations
- Professional groups should add themselves so that the public can reach them and access their website and online member’s directory. Many medical professional groups overlook the potential business opportunity for members and their medical practices to grow in a competitive environment, who SHOULD ALSO increase their online footprint by participating in as many directories as possible (and especially the free ones!) Help your members’ reach an ever-increasing online customer base, save money [on traditional media and print directories], increase revenues and become more profitable,
Enforcement of medial ethics (self-laudatory claims, false claims of professional status/membership. etcetera) is simplified because directories and the entire Internet are so searchable for key phrases, and web pages provide a semi-permanent (and printable) record of such claims.
Good professional groups’ websites not only promote the organization itself, but also have a directory of member individuals or businesses, with links to their web sites (if there are no links, insist they add this, its not “rocket science” technology!), typically organized by category.
What items are NOT “Healthcare” in FoundLocally
While FoundLocally is quite liberal with “non Traditional Healthcare” categories, including therapies as diverse as herbal medicine, Asian medicine, and some spa therapies, we do not permit those practicing astrology, “psychics”, fortune telling, or astrology to include themselves in the HEALTH -Counseling. These should limit themselves to the CONSUMER SHOPPING – Goods & Services – Entertainment category.
There are a number of other products and services that “touch” on healthcare, with some of the appropriate categories noted here:
- CONSUMER SHOPPING – Grooming-Beauty: various cosmetics items & services, and spas
- CONSUMER SHOPPING – Goods & Services: various health & beauty items
- CONSUMER SHOPPING – Goods & Services: Senior Care Non-Medical
- CONSUMER SHOPPING – Food : Vitamins & Supplements (those selling these, may NOT select Nutrition Counselling as well, since it is part of their selling process)
- CONSUMER SHOPPING – Food : Nutrition Counselling (non-selling)
- CONSUMER SHOPPING – Clothing : Uniforms (for Medical Uniforms)
Make the Most of Your PROFILE
- Add an organizational listing to promote your medical practice, clinic or hospitalUse the Description field to state your key branding message (and describe the services, typical/target clients, and benefits)
- Use the Products/Brands for key service keywords to improve findability (a list is fine here).
- Link to your website, and upload a photo or logo (like: a photo of a sole practitioner, or of your building or office)
- In the Contact field, insert your website’s Contact Us webpage instead of an e-mail address, to reduce spam e-mails.
Take Advantage of CATEGORIES
- Select any categories that are appropriate to services YOU PROVIDE or goods YOU SELL. There is not cost for any additional and appropriate categories!
- The PROFILE page provides template options for HEALTH-Family Doctor, HEALTH-Family Dentist, HEALTH-Therapeutic Massage, and HEALTH-Medical Marijuana Dispensary (New!)
- Use the HEALTH-Counselling section only for services, not for products that may help with those afflictions (ie drugs, devices, supplements, surgery
Multiple CONTACTS may Update Listing(s)
- Set up multiple contacts per listing to add additional staff people in your organization, so each can post items to your listing, or login and ad additional clients and their websites & locations.
- Add marketing, HR, and Operations persons who can login and update the operational components of their FoundLocally listings, letting you focus on web marketing and website design.
Post NEWS and Announcements
- Post announcements to FoundLocally listings at the same time as it is sent out to other media outlets.
- Post announcements about new associates, facilities or equipment enhancements, even if you do not send these to other traditional media outlets.
- Dramatically improve your findability using powerful keywords in the news story with you and /your web site. In addition this can improve your/your credibility as an industry information resource.
- Announcements stay posted until you take them down. On FoundLocally, news has a long shelf life. FoundLocally news is not thrown out or recycled the next day, like with a newspaper
- Use the EVENTS to post special events, open houses, seminars, workshops, tradeshow/festival booths, fundraisers etcetera.
- Link to your own web site or a third-party’s if people need to RSVP for or buy tickets.
Post JOBS to fill staffing needs
- Recruit people for internal or client needs using the JOBS tab.
- Non-profit groups (or their fund-raising activities), can use the JOBS tab to post volunteer opportunities.
Add your LOCAL Free Listing to FoundLocally.com
Don’t forget to also post any News, Events, Jobs, and Savings to promote all aspects of your organization/business and operations, (using the respective tabs in your listing).