Get the highest online visibility for your Festivals and Community Events using FoundLocally.com free listings.
FoundLocally’s self-serve toolkit makes it easy for all festivals and community events organizers to provide year-round visibility for event organizations, promote and fill both paid and volunteer positions, and promote their festival’s entire schedule. Post not only the festival itself, but all component events, using a “clone’ tool to quickly post similar events, and the ability to re-use/update events posted in prior years to save time.
Festivals and community events tend to recur annually, and run on tight fiscal budgets and often with extensive community and volunteer support. FoundLocally can help Festivals and community events in a number of ways, and provides time-saving year-to-year continuity of marketing effort.
Making the Most of Your PROFILE
You can add a organizational listing to promote their festival on an going basis, to raise year-round awareness, not just the week before the event(s)
- Use the Description field to state your key branding message, and write it so it is NOT SPECIFIC TO THIS YEAR’S DATE. FoundLocally uses the Events tab to post items to our interactive Events Calendar (more about this later), so don’t waste words on that here, and don’t risk your listing looking out of date right after this year’s festival/events
- Use the Products/Brands to showcase your key events and activities by name (not by date). Talk about your audience and the types of events & activities, as well as key venues and major perennial sponsors
- In this era of eco-consciousness, use the Environmental field to showcase how you are organizing the festival in a way that is environmentally friendly
- Use the Business Hours field to focus on the year-round office hours, or you might state that the office has limited hours other than a month before the festival.
Multiple CONTACTS to Update Listing(s)
- Set up multiple contacts per listing using the CONTACTS tab and “Add New”, to add additional staff people or volunteer organizers in your festival, so each can post items to your listing, and update details. Include marketing, volunteer coordinators, and event planners in your organization’s Registered Contacts
- In a volunteer driven organization, you should update the contacts each year, to ensure the responsibility for updating FoundLocally is passed on. Be sure to delete contacts that have left your organization (you must always have at least one contact!). If any e-mail addresses change, be sure to update your Registered Contacts details (if not, your festival listing may get deleted)
- You can use the EVENTS tab to post your festival, and any component, pre-festival and post-festival events to FoundLocally’s interactive Events Calendar
- You can post events as far ahead as you plan, so if you already know next year’s festival dates, add them to FoundLocally. You can update location and other details closer to the event, but that way at least the “festival as a whole” is on the calendar
- Events Descriptions are limited to 250 characters. Sell the “essence” and move visitors to your website where you have more details and can move them to a ticket or event pass sales process (and on your site they are not distracted by other events listed on FoundLocally!)
TIP: Each Events FoundLocally pages can link to your website, a venue’s website or a third party (like, say, TicketMaster) to either provide more detailed information, or expedite sale of tickets or festival passes
- Post all separate sub-events. You may have a 3 day music festival, but if people can but separate tickets for Day one, day two, and day three, and each has different artists and line-ups, post each day as well as its own event. You can make that days; Description field specific to that day’s page on your website (or a ticket /pass order form)
- Always include festival name in all events names (to improve both findability and branding during festival)
This sample festival would have 9 events posted: the festival plus 8 sub-events.
- If you have a LOT of events (>30, which can easily happen with a Kiwanis Music festival, a film festival, a multicultural festival, a music festival, or a fringe festival)) we can work with an Excel spreadsheet template to quickly load all of them. Please contact FoundLocally to discuss the optimal format and data needed
- Events disappear from public view after each event’s End Date passes, but they remaining the database, and can either be re-sued next year (just edit the date to be any future date) or purged using the POWER USER tab)
- FILM FESTIVALS: Please do not post individual films to the Events tab of your listing, which are better included in FoundLocally’s weekly movie listings. Email the spreadsheet of films, date, times, venues to FoundLocally.com You just need to post the Opening Gala, Awards & Closing Gala, and any similar “meet & greet” events.
Posting NEWS Announcements
You should post announcements using the NEWS tab of your listing to FoundLocally listings at the same time as it is sent out to other media outlets.
- You can post an announcement that tickets are now on sale. The News Announcement is posted & viewable on FoundLocally from that time on…. The Events are displayed in the calendar during that time, plus whenever people look ahead in the Events Calendar. This increases your “footprint” on FoundLocally to times before & beyond the dates of your festival.
- News postings can dramatically improve your overall search engine findability by increasing the association of keywords in the news story with your web site and name. In addition they can improve your/your client’s creditability as an industry information resource
- Announcements stay posted until you take them down. On FoundLocally, news has a long shelf life. FoundLocally news is not thrown out or recycled the next day, like with a newspaper!
- If you have announcements for this year’s festival, you may find they can be recycled for next year’s. You can go to the NEWS tab and click Clone to duplicate a News Item, but update it with the current year’s information. Optionally, you can delete last year’s news item (not that its doing any harm, unless you have major pricing changes)
Posting JOBS to fill staffing needs
- You can use the JOBS tab (and “Add New”) to post recruitments for either paid or volunteer staff. Volunteer positions are noted by choosing “Volunteer” from the “Type” pop-down list
- Any postings you are currently recruiting for should have the “Active” radio button selected. After positions are filled and/or after the festival is over, all positions should have the “Inactive” radio button selected. DO NOT DELETE positions at the end of the festival, because you can re-sued the postings next year, simply by changing the status back to “Active”, and updating the Posting Information details below.
Posting SAVINGS to promote discounts
- You can use the SAVINGS tab to post sales, coupons, or discounts. Typical examples for festivals are discounts for week/weekend passes instead of daily passes, family discounts, busload discounts for groups and tours.
Add Your Festival/Event to the FoundLocally Directory
Don’t forget to also post any News, Events, Jobs, and Savings to promote all aspects of your fstival/event and operations, (using the respective tabs in your listing).